In 1996 the Hospital Strategy Project produced a lengthy and detailed report based on year-long national consultations with government officials and other experts in South Africa. The report, which was commissioned by South Africa’s National Department of Health and funded by the European Union, set out ‘A Vision and Strategy for South Africa’s Public Hospitals.’
Fifteen years later, many of the Hospital Strategy Project’s recommendations remain pertinent, although some need to be updated in light of current circumstances.
Although the report is technically in the public domain, it is very difficult to access hard copies, let alone electronic versions. Over the coming weeks I will try to upload as many of the component parts of the report as I can access. Today I am starting with Module 2 which deals with strengthening hospital management (see links below). Unfortunately some of the components are missing as the original electronic files have been damaged.
If you use any information from these reports, please acknowledge the source:
Monitor Company, Health Partners International, Centre for Health Policy and National Labour and Economic Development Institute. 1996. Module 2: Strengthening Hospital Management. In: Achieving equity, efficiency and accountability: a vision and strategy for South Africa’s public hospitals. Final report of the Hospital Strategy Project. Johannesburg: Monitor Company.
– Contents of volume on Module 2: HSP Module 2_Contents pages for folder
– Overview: HSP Module 2_Overview
– Contents of main report: HSP Module 2_Contents pages for main report
– Main report: HSP Module 2_Main report
Appendix 1: Role of stakeholders above hospital level in hospital personnel management: HSP Module 2_App1_Role of stakeholders above hospital level in hospital personnel management
Appendix 2: Hospital personnel management: delegations to hospital managers: HSP Module 2_App2_Hospital personnel management_delegations to hospital managers
Appendix 3: Procurement, Public Works and Transport: delegation of authority to the PHA and hospital management (electronic version not available)
Appendix 4: Decentralised financial management: delegation of authority to the PHA and hospital management (click here for this appendix which is a substantial report appearing in a separate post)
Appendix 5: Interventions to relieve pressing needs of hospitals HSP Module 2_App5_Interventions to relieve pressing needs of hospitals
– Framework for implementation: HSP Module 2_Framework for implementation
– Review of hospital management in six countries: HSP Module 2_Hospital management in 6 countries
– Community involvement in hospitals: HSP Module 2_Community involvement in hospitals
– Decentralised financial management (electronic version not available – scanned version is being uploaded onto separate post entitled Decentralised financial management of hospitals)