This page lists the research that I (together with colleagues) have done relating to District Health Systems in South Africa and other low- and middle-income countries.
Links to open-source published documents are provided. Contact me if you would like access to an unpublished report.
- Doherty J. 2014. Improving public hospitals through effective clinical leadership: lessons from South Africa. Johannesburg: Centre for Rural Health (University of the Witwatersrand) for the Municipal Services Project (University of the Western Cape).
- Doherty J. 2013. Strengthening clinical leadership in hospitals: a review of the international and South African literature. Johannesburg: Centre for Rural Health (University of the Witwatersrand) for the Municipal Services Project (University of the Western Cape).
Primary health care
- Gilson L, Doherty J, Loewenson R. 2011. Challenging inequity through health systems. In: The Commission on Social Determinants of Health Knowledge Networks, Lee JH, Sadana R (eds). 2011. Improving equity in health by addressing social determinants. Geneva: World Health Organisation. ISBN 978 92 4 150303 7.
- Gilson L, Doherty J, Loewenson R, Francis V. 2008. Challenging inequity through health systems. Health Systems Knowledge Network, World Health Organisation Commission on the Social Determinants of Health. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy, EQUINET, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
- Tollman S, Doherty J, Mulligan J. 2006. General Primary Care. In: Jamison D, Alleyne G, Breman J, Claeson M, Evans DB, Prabhat J, Measham AR, Mills A. 2006. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries (2nd edition). New York: The World Bank and the Oxford University Press.
- Doherty J, Loveday M, Stewart R, Thomas L. 2005. Implementing the Comprehensive Care and Treatment Programme for HIV and AIDS patients in the Free State: Sharing experiences. Durban: Health Systems Trust.
- Afari-Twumasi K, Doherty J. 1996. Management of the cold chain: nurses’ knowledge and practice in clinics of the Zwelitsha district in the Eastern Cape. Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection; 11(1): 9-13.
Planning primary health care facilities
- Doherty J, Kraus R, Herbst K. 1996. Health facilities. In: Harrison, D (ed). 1996. South African Health Review, 1996. Durban: Health Systems Trust.
- Rispel L, Doherty J, Makiwane F, Webb N. 1996. The development of a plan for primary health care facilities in Soweto, South Africa. Part I: Guiding principles and methods. Health Policy and Planning.
- Doherty J, Rispel L, Webb N. 1996. The development of a plan for primary health care facilities in Soweto, South Africa. Part II: The application of locational criteria. Health Policy and Planning.
- Doherty J, Rispel L. 1995. What facility norms should be used in an urban setting?: the experience of Soweto. MRC Urbanisation and Health Newsletter; 25: 20-23.
- Centre for Health Policy, Chris Steel Architects, Rosmarin and Associates. 1994. Planning for health facility development at the primary level: the case of Greater Soweto. Paper No. 36. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy. (ISBN No. 1-86838-118-8)
- Doherty J, Rispel L, Steel C, Webb N, Makiwane F. 1993. A guide plan for primary health care services in Greater Soweto. Phase II: Volumes I, II and III. Johannesburg: Chris Steel Architects.
- Doherty J, Rispel L, Steel C, Ovens W, Makiwane F. 1992. A guide plan for health care services in Greater Soweto. Phase I. Johannesburg: Chris Steel Architects.
- Doherty J. 2014. Chapter 4.3.1. Models for undergraduate rural health placements. In: Chater AB, Rourke J, Couper ID, Strasser RP, Reid S (eds). WONCA Rural Medical Education Guidebook. World Organisation of Family Doctors (WONCA): WONCA Working Party on Rural Practice.
- Doherty JE, Couper ID, Campbell D, Walker J. 2013. Transforming rural health systems through clinical academic leadership: lessons from South Africa. Rural and Remote Health; 13: 2618 (online).
- Doherty J. 2012. Developing rural academic leadership in support of Health Sciences Education: report of a Wits-Monash workshop. Johannesburg: Division of Rural Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand. (unpublished report)
- Doherty J, Price M. 1998. Evaluation of rural ambulance services. World Health Forum; 19: 315-319.
- Schneider M, Rispel L, Doherty J. 1994. The development of guidelines for rehabilitation services in the Greater Soweto area. Paper No 34. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy. (ISBN No. 1-86838-119-6)
- Rispel L, Doherty J, Schneider H. 1992. Report to the Progressive Primary Health Care Network’s AIDS Committee on Indicators to assist with prioritisation and resource allocation. (unpublished report)
- Doherty J, Price M. 1991. An evaluation of ambulance services in KaNgwane. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy. Marais S, Schneider H, Price M, Doherty J. 1991. Report on intersectoral factors affecting health. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy.
- Buch E, Doherty J. 1989. Environmental health services in townships: some lessons from Soweto. Critical Health; 28: 15-20.