This page lists the research that I (together with colleagues) have done relating to Human resource planning and production.
Links are provided for most publications. Contact me if you would like to access an unpublished report.
- Doherty J, Gilson L, Shung-King M. 2018. Achievements and challenges in developing health leadership in South Africa: the experience of the Oliver Tambo Fellowship Programme 2008-2014. Health Policy and Planning; 33(Suppl. 2): ii50-ii64.
- Doherty J, Gilson L. 2015. Workplace-based learning for health systems leaders. London: RESYST Consortium.
- Doherty J. 2014. Leadership from ‘below:’ clinical staff and public hospitals in South Africa. Briefing note No. 4. Municipal Services Project.
- Doherty J. 2014. Chapter 4.3.1. Models for undergraduate rural health placements. In: Chater AB, Rourke J, Couper ID, Strasser RP, Reid S (eds). WONCA Rural Medical Education Guidebook. World Organisation of Family Doctors (WONCA): WONCA Working Party on Rural Practice.
- Doherty J. 2014. Improving public hospitals through effective clinical leadership: lessons from South Africa. Johannesburg: Centre for Rural Health (University of the Witwatersrand) for the Municipal Services Project (University of the Western Cape).
- Doherty J. 2013. Strengthening clinical leadership in hospitals: a review of the international and South African literature. Johannesburg: Centre for Rural Health (University of the Witwatersrand) for the Municipal Services Project (University of the Western Cape).
- Doherty JE, Couper ID, Campbell D, Walker J. 2013. Transforming rural health systems through clinical academic leadership: lessons from South Africa. Rural and Remote Health; 13: 2618 (online).
- Doherty J, Conco D, Couper I, Fonn S. (2013) Developing a new mid-level health worker: lessons from South Africa’s experience with Clinical Associates. Global Health Action; 6: 19282.
- Doherty J, Fonn S, Couper I. 2012. Will clinical associates be effective for South Africa? South African Medical Journal; 102(11): 833-835. DOI: 10.7196/SAMJ.5960.
- Doherty J. 2012. Developing rural academic leadership in support of Health Sciences Education: report of a Wits-Monash workshop. Johannesburg: Division of Rural Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand. (unpublished report)
- Doherty J, Gilson L. 2011. South African health managers speak out: Lessons for innovative health management in the public sector. Cape Town: Oliver Tambo Fellowship Programme, University of Cape Town.
- Doherty, J. 2011. Alternative models for rural training of health professionals: A literature review. Johannesburg: Rural Training Task Team, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand. Alternative models for rural training_FINAL
- Doherty J, Conco DN. 2009. Mid-level medical workers in South Africa: a situation analysis. Johannesburg: School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand. (unpublished report)
- Doherty J. 2005. Training doctors in the clinical setting: challenges facing clinicians. A report prepared for the Committee of Deans of Health Sciences Faculties. (unpublished report)
- Siebert M, Kraus R, Doherty J. 2003. Rapid person-to-post matching for the department of health in Gauteng Province. Umtata: Health Partners Southern Africa. (unpublished report)
- Doherty J, Joffe A. 2002. Trends in skilled personnel, 1996-2002. In: Pick W (ed). 2002. The migration of skilled health personnel in the African Region: the case of South Africa. Johannesburg: School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand (for WHO/AFRO).
- Doherty J. 2000. Personnel in national and provincial health departments, 1996/97-1998/99. Pretoria: Department of Health. (unpublished report)