This page lists the research that I (together with colleagues) have done relating to Policy on the private health sector in Southern Africa.
Links to open-source published documents are provided. Contact me if you would like access to an unpublished report.
- Doherty J. 2015. Achieving universal health coverage in Africa: is there a role for formal for-profit providers? Global Health Check.
- Doherty J. 2015. Achieving universal health coverage in East and Southern Africa: what role for for-profit providers? Paper presented as part of Panel Session T03P13: Private sector and universal health coverage – examining evidence and deconstructing rhetoric. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.1993.9682. Paper delivered to the International Conference on Public Policy, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, Italy, 1-4 July 2015.
- Doherty J. 2015. Regulating the for-profit private health sector: lessons from East and Southern Africa. Health Policy and Planning; 30(3); i93-i102. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czu111.
- Doherty J. 2013. Legislation on the for-profit private health sector in east and southern Africa. EQUINET Discussion Paper 99. Harare: HEU, EQUINET.
- Doherty J, McIntyre D. 2013. Addressing the failings of public health systems: should the private sector be an instrument of choice? In: Surender D, Walker R (eds). 2013. Social policy in a developing world. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar. (pages 101-124).
- McIntyre DE, Doherty JE, Ataguba JE. (2012) Health care financing and expenditure – post-1994 progress and remaining challenges. In: Van Rensburg HCJ (ed). Health and health care in South Africa (2nd edition). Pretoria: van Schaik Publishers. ISBN: 9780627030130.
- Doherty J. 2011. Expansion of the private for-profit health sector in East and Southern Africa. EQUINET with HEU UCT and TARSC Policy Brief 26. Harare: EQUINET.
- Doherty J. 2011. Expanding the private health sector in our region – healthy partnership or trojan horse? (Editorial). EQUINET Newsletter 127. Training and Research Support Centre: Harare.
- Doherty J. 2011. Expansion of the private health sector in East and Southern Africa. EQUINET Discussion Paper 87. EQUINET: Harare.
- Doherty J, Steinberg J. 2003. Priority health care information needs for reform: what role for BHF? Johannesburg: Board of Healthcare Funders. [this report summarises all the research done on the private sector in South Africa from the late 1980s until 2003]
- Doherty J, McLeod H. 2002. Chapter 3: Medical schemes. In: Health Systems Trust. 2002. South African Health Review, 2003. Durban: Health Systems Trust.
- Buch E, Doherty J. 2002. Public policy and the future of medical schemes. In: Board of Healthcare Funders. 2002. Investing in the new healthcare economy. Johannesburg: Board of Healthcare Funders in association with Deloitte and Touche Human Capital Corporation.
- Clews F, Kushlick A, Lee T, Doherty J, Rapholo G. 1998. Non-governmental organisations serving people with profound intellectual disability and severe psychiatric disability. Johannesburg: Centre for Health Policy.
- Beattie A, Doherty J, Price M, de Beer C. 1992. Private practice in academic medicine – a trojan horse. South African Medical Journal; 82: 385-386.